Hello everyone! It's Robyn Werlich here with a fun card tutorial for you. One of my favorite things to do with leftover scraps from my kits is to put together some fun cards. Today, I'm going to show you a great technique for using up your papers! You can also download this tutorial in PDF form.
My Mother loves to quilt and I thought...why not make a card that looks like a pieced quilt. So simple and yet the final eclectic look appears much more complicated than it is.
(supplies: Patterned Papers: Roller Rink Scrapbooking Kit, Rainbow Kneesocks Add-on Kit, Toe Stop Add-on Kit; Labels: Roller Rink Printable Labels; Wood Clips: Rainbow Kneesocks Add-on Kit; Stamps: Couple's Skate Add-on Kit; Prima Chalk ink: Fall Leaf, English Ivy, Farmer Jeans, Shabby Tote; other: sewing machine, orange sewing thread, kraft cardstock)
1. To get started, you’re going to want to grab your supplies. I used papers from the October Roller Rink Kit and Add-ons.
2. Gather some cardstock from your stash and cut cards in the size of 7" long by 3 1/2" tall. Fold them in half.
3. Print the Roller Rink Printable Labels on white cardstock and cut out some label shapes.
4. Gather all your patterned papers and cut strips in 2" and 1 1/2" wide.
5. Start by gluing a piece of paper on the left side of your card and trim the excess paper from the card. Repeat until you have two rows of different pieces of patterned paper completely covering the card front.
Try playing around with your cut patterned paper strips and the way that you lay them out on your card. Rows of patterned paper, same size strips, or all different sizes. Each card can be a different look with this fun technique.
6. If you want to take your card a step further, you can stamp on your patterned paper sections on your card. I simply placed a piece of white printer paper on the card that I didn't want to stamp on, inked my chevron/arrow stamp, and stamped on the kraft cardstock & the orange patterned paper on the cards. This little detail adds additional interest and visual depth to your card.
7. If you have a sewing machine, sew around the seams of your papers with a fun colored thread. I used an orange thread that matches the orange patterned paper in my cards. If you can't sew on yoru cards, you can even take a marker and create small dashed lines on the edges for the same look!8. Using the stamp from the Couple's Skate Add-on kit, stamp the saying on your labels.
Have you ever cut your clear stamps in half? I did! I took the 'you make my heart sing' stamp and cut it into two different stamps: 'you make' and then 'my heart sing'. This way, I can stamp them stacked like I did on these cards - and in different colors. And, if I want them in a straight line again, I can simply stamp them that way.
9. Attach your label to your card with a cute wood clip (from the Rainbow Kneesocks Kit).
I hope that you will have fun with this technique. It creates a fun background card or a layout! Enjoy!! -Robyn Werlich