Happy Friday, Studio Calico friends. I think you'll love this month's Member Spotlight - we adore her bright and warm style and couldn't wait to share more about her with all of you! Meet Naomi Atkins :
Hello! My name is Naomi Atkins, and I'm very excited to be featured this month! I love being a part of Studio Calico and sharing in all of the awesome inspiration that is found here everyday! I could sit on the computer all day and browse the member gallery, but my days consist of either cleaning up messes, fixing emergencies, cooking, or snapping photos! We only have a tv for watching movies, so scrapbooking and sewing are my ways to relax! I have an amazing husband Jonathan, and five wonderful children Katlyn, Elise, Everett, Weston and Camille. They are my daily inspiration, and make my life interesting and complete! I spent eight years teaching Legal Research and Writing classes at a local college, and then went for a major career switch, sort of accidentally! Ten years ago, when I got married I told my husband, "I'm just not creative." I am so grateful for my awesome business partner Nichole and we started the business Inspired and Enchanted Photography two years ago and haven't looked back since! We have a busy wedding season and a lot of families and newborns as well! My interest in photography began with my love of scrapbooking and my desire to take better pictures. I would sit in awe over pictures I saw on photographer's websites and wanted mine to look the same. Since I spent enough money on years and years of schooling already, I figured I was going to have to teach myself. Lots of books, online forums and practice later I have my business which I love! My love of scrapbooking has grown through all of this.. I truly love this hobby! Only since I quit my teaching job have I had time to start posting things online and getting more involved and I haven't looked back. I love learning new techniques and being inspired by all of the amazing ladies on here. I have been published several times in Scrapbook Trends magazine and am on several design teams.
What are your top 5 favorite products and why?
1. Patterned paper!!!!! I can never have enough, and yet I always seem to have too much! It's my go to supply for scrapbooking, and often the source of my inspiration. Nothing makes me happier than to recieve a beautiful stack of patterned paper! I really love mixing lines when I put paper together, which is why I love Studio Calico kits so much. Getting the kit has really taught me to open my eyes as far as color combinations, and putting papers together that I may not have originally picked out to coordinate.
2. My Canon Mark II (soon to be the Mark III!!). I simply cannot scrapbook without a good photo. Scrapbooking drew me to photography, but the photograph is what makes the layout for me!
3. My Sewing machine! I simply cannot seem to "complete" a page without a bit, or a lot of sewing. Zig zag, straight stitch, paper piecing, you name it, I love that finished, handmade look that a page has when it's been sewed. I only very recently made the switch into fabric as well!
4. Thickers! I love the texture that a nice, thick letter adds to a layout.. it is the perfect finishing touch. I can't seem to have enough of them either! Plus, they are so easy and fuss-free to add a great title.
5. My cameo. I've tried about every die-cutting machine out there, but the Cameo takes the cake. It's pretty easy to use, and LOVE to cut titles and sayings with it.
Where do you find your inspiration?
I love to see what other designers do with their pages.Even if it's a layout that is not my style, I still find inspiration from lots of other styles! Magazines always, and still continue to be a great source of inspiration. As i've grown as a scrapbooking artist and photographer, I now see inspiration everywhere. Catalogs, book jackets, typography, etc. And of course, Pinterest. I LOVE pinterest. I have to admit though, sometimes pinterest stresses me out. I'm such a crafty person..I like to sew, scrapbook, bake, etc. and I get so overwhelmed by all that I want to do yet never have the hours to complete, sometimes I just have to turn off the computer! It's like "inspiration overload" if that makes sense to anyone :)
What is your favorite color and/or color combo?
I have access to lots of color.. my husband works for Sherwin williams, so I have a fondness for color cards! I can't say I have one favorite, although I love aqua, light pink, and brown. I also am very inspired by color palettes on pinterest. Since I love patterned paper so much, just seeing particular colors together in a palette will get my mind going!
Tell us a bit about your design process.
Almost always starts with a photo. That's why I scrapbook large photos so much. I am not so good with journaling, but for me a pictures says a thousand words. I try to take the emotion that i've captured in the photo, and convey that into my layout..whether it be soft and sweet, or playful and silly. I know this will seem weird, but i often know I want to scrapbook a page based on a certain photo or stack of papers. I lay in bed at night when I can't sleep, and imagine my photo and paper, and think of what i want to do with it. It is often where i come up with my best ideas! Sometimes, if it's a really great idea and I don't want to forget it, I will actually get up and write it down, which doesn't thrill my husband so much!
Tell us a bit about what else you do since we know you are creative in more ways than just scrapbooking.
I love all things creative. We don't have television channels, the kids can only watch videos.. so crafting is how I relax. I love to bake and read as well. I just started sewing.. I recently made my first outfit for my one year old daughter, and I just finished my first quilt top, a chevron style thanks to a quilt along, "Mommy by Day, Crafter by Night." She did such an amazing job taking you step by step through the process. I just have to bind and quilt it yet! I really enjoyed that project! I loved putting the fabric combinations together, just like I do with patterned paper!