This month's member spotlight is shining bright on Shanna Nalywaiko, user name Shannanoel. Not only is she a super talented scrapbooker but an equally talented photograper. Let's get to know Shanna a little better.
When did you start scrapbooking and what got you started?
I started digital scrapbooking in late 2006, I instantly fell in love with the design process, playing with color and incorporating my photography. I was soon asked to be on the Lilypad creative team (you can see my gallery here) and loved it even more Even though I was having a lot of fun with it, I decided in the summer of 2010 that I was spending too much time on the computer and left the hobby all together. Through scrapbooking I developed my photography skills and followed blogs that had beautiful photography including Elizabeth Kartchner's blog. This past summer she made an adorable little mini album using Crate Paper's Neighborhood Collection. I feel in love. At first I just had to hunt down that paper.... but the more and more I dug... the further I feel! What I really love about it is that my girls (9 and 5) can join in on the fun, they love making little books with my bind it all. My oldest even put an instax on her Christmas list!
What are your top 5 favorite products and why?
1. Is white cardstock the most boring answer in all of history, or what? I am sorry its the perfect backdrop!! Even when I was a digital scrapbooker, I simply scrapped on top of a white canvas, I think colors POP off them and no matter how messy you get, ... its still a clean look.
2. Paint! Splatter it. Sprinkle it. Smear it. Cover it. There is so much you can do with this versitile product! If it comes in a spray bottle or a can you can do wonders with it. I also love that you can mix it and match anything you are working with!
3. Patterned paper, of course! I really love cutting it up into little tiny accent pieces all over my white canvas! I really love the 6x6 pads since the scale is smaller and lends itself well to this!
4. Washi Tape - I am so excited everyone is discovering this little gem, because now they are coming out with all these NEW patterns! LOVE it!!! ! I found it in 2006 and was using it on home decor projects, so it was natural to bring it onto my pages.
5. Does the Cameo count? I find new ways to use that thing on a daily basis!
What is your favorite Studio Calico product and why?
Hands down Mister Huey's!!! Oh gosh! I am just in love with that Mister! I use its on every.single.page! Since I do usually use a white cardstock background the Mister Huey products add the perfect touch!
What is your favorite go-to or signature technique?
Like I said, I definitely like my blank canvas, and I am also a "white" space scrapper. Add in some misting, sewing and a picture and I am good to go! I am also really loving using my digital background with my Cameo and making some fun hybrid layouts!
Where do you find your inspiration?
EVERYWHERE! First off, of course my children and husband bring me the most inspiration. The funny quotes, the adorable pictures, how could you not be inspired? The scrapbooking community as a whole is an endless source of inspiration from the community to the galleries.. I am AMAZED on a daily basis the talent that is out there!
What is your favorite color and/or color combo?
I love anything with turquoise and grey!
Tell us a bit about your design process.
As I said before, my background is really in digital scrapbooking, and I am finding I am dipping my toe back into that world a bit with my Cameo. So my layouts all start in the silhouette software. If I am inspired by a shape, or using a template.. thats where I start.If I am using a paper product, I LOVE 6x6 pads, because a lot of times the companies will shrink the scale down a bit. Since I scrap on a smaller scale (8x* with a lot of white space) that really helps me! From there I print off my journaling ...... then its gets messy! Sewing, painting, misrting, cutting, ... its just FUN! I just keep going until my layout feels done. I always know the "bones' of my layout before I start,... buts its all the little bits and pieces that you add that really make a page standout.
Tell us a bit about what else you do since we know you are creative in more ways than just scrapbooking.
I am lucky enough to be surrounded by creative people in my life. So we are always creating something. Twice a year I get together with 8-12 girlfriends/family and we all pick a project/craft to teach other. Its so much fun to learn new techniques and ideas. We craft all day & night... chat,.. eat.. you get the idea! Its loads of fun! :) Because of things like that I enjoy loads of things from photography, felting, painting, beading, sewing etc. I am one lucky lady to be surrounded by these amazing people!!
Thanks so much for sharing a little bit about yourself Shanna!